Freud


1.
When you are in a strange place
you need your cell phone
and I keep losing mine
and discover hours later that it's gone.
And the woman
I came to the meeting with,
I think she's
my wife, the capable one
went off for
coffee with a friend
and I cant find her.
We are about to leave
and I don't know where
the train is. Will she come
back and I be out of reach?
On an inspiration
I beg them at the desk to find
a simple flip phone, as
familiar as my hand, but I can't
recall the brand. When the clerk gestures
to the lost and found box
hope rises. But he brings me an old
intercom instead and I explain the difference.
Is it time to leave? Will she not return?
I imagine my own bed, in the warmth of my room.
But how will I reach it?
.
.
2.
I'm heading cold into
a hollow under the sky.
Day has darkened
and night has met her,
pale, inflamed.
.
I talk like a man,
rigid, terse.
Admit nothing,
only laugh and
swing your fists.
The doors don't close
and windows leak, cold.
The vault of sleep
is two thousand miles on
the other side of torn space.
Waiting brings me deeper
into the storm
Chilled, not a place for mammals.
Only the wild fish are home.

Comments

Popular Posts