My Participation in the Growth of My Dream

I see myself doing it
and know that it is true.
I have teeth organelles with minds of their own.
If I bite, even at my own hand
no matter how hard I try
I won't be able to make them let go.
On my dream screen there is an image of my kitchen
with its trash can and its recycling bin, the sink,
the old yellow floor. And I say to my dream self,
"what would happen if I came in and the trash can
and recycling bin were stolen?"
"Let's try it."
So on my dream screen the image changes.
I enter the scene of my dream and exclaim
"My god, who has crept in here and stolen our things."
It feels like the beginning of something terrible.
A grip of the unknown creeps
over me in real time as I sleep, a
clench of the supernatural, like a dread
of unearthly things, like I'm being pursued
by something cold like a big black s-biter.
I enter the kitchen many times over the following dream days
(actually the seconds it takes to think them).
The reappearence of the trash cans never assures me.
My unease worsens until one dream day on the floor is lying
a great black thing--looking shapeless at first
like the shadow of a sleeping dog sprawled on many legs.
When I get close the black thing says it's been waiting for me
and this scares me so I have to wake up,
to escape my own fantasies.

Comments

Popular Posts